My brother broke my leg. Well, he aided and abetted in the incident. It happened in this fashion. We were staying at my sister’s house. There was a circle driveway in front of her home. My brother and I decided it would be fun to race each other on our ‘chopper’ bicycles.
My brother had taken the front forks off old bikes and added a pair to his and to my bike. We looked like we were racing Harley Davidson choppers!
We made our laps around the circle driveway in front of several homes. I was on his tracks with my front tire kissing his rear tire. We went to round a sharp turn when I made my move. I ducked to the inside bringing my front tire along his back tire. I was taking the lead on the most important lap, the last lap!
That’s when it happened. The front forks, which my brother had installed on his bike broke loose sending his wheel off in one direction and me plowing into the ground. I hit my brakes so as not to run over my brother and hurt him. I crashed hard. My leg under the bike.
Just at that moment visitors coming out of the house hollered asking, ‘you all right?’ Before I could answer my dad said sure they are! That was about three thirty in the afternoon. I got to the house where I was able to elevate my leg.
The pain did not let up. About eleven thirty that night I went to the emergency room for them to look at my leg. I was hurting. I sat there in a wheel chair waiting my turn. The nurse was coming to get me to take me back for diagnosis and treatment when she stopped in her tracks. She turned and walked away.
I was mystified. What’s the deal? Turns out my injury was interrupted and the pain prolonged because a police officer feel down and scraped his knee. Really? A scraped knee interrupts a leg broken in three places? Apparently so.
Interruptions. We all deal with them from time to time. They come in various forms. Jesus dealt with one which is recorded in Mark’s gospel chapter five. You and I can learn from His interruption.
The woman who touched God.
21) “When Jesus had crossed over again in the boat to the other side, a large crowd gathered around Him; and so He stayed by the seashore.
22) One of the synagogue officials named Jairus came up, and on seeing Him, fell at His feet
23) and implored Him earnestly, saying, “My little daughter is at the point of death; please come and lay Your hands on her, so that she will get well and live.”
24) And He went off with him; and a large crowd was following Him and pressing in on Him.
25) A woman who had had a hemorrhage for twelve years,
26) and had endured much at the hands of many physicians, and had spent all that she had and was not helped at all, but rather had grown worse-
27) after hearing about Jesus, she came up in the crowd behind Him and touched His cloak.
28) For she thought, “If I just touch His garments, I will get well.”
29) Immediately the flow of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of her affliction.
30) Immediately Jesus, perceiving in Himself that the power proceeding from Him had gone forth, turned around in the crowd and said, “Who touched My garments?”
31) And His disciples said to Him, “You see the crowd pressing in on You, and You say, ‘Who touched Me?'”
32) And He looked around to see the woman who had done this.
33) But the woman fearing and trembling, aware of what had happened to her, came and fell down before Him and told Him the whole truth.
34) And He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well; go in peace and be healed of your affliction.”” Mark 5:21-34 NASB
Do intrusions bother you? Jesus was dealing with Jarius when the woman with the issue of blood interrupted the occasion.
I. The Intrusion of a certain woman. 25-26
Issue of blood. 12 years.
An ongoing hemorrhage.
Suffered many things from many doctors.
Jesus, her last resort.
Why wait? Maybe didn’t know about Jesus? Maybe He became convenient? Maybe someone told her what Jesus did for them?
Her cost? A display of faith. Stepping out in front of the religious leaders, the doctors, and the naysayers!
II. The Implication of Believing faith. 27-29
Recognizes the Source of healing. 28
Stimulation to action.
No action-no faith.
III. The Interest of Jesus. 30-34
Touch of faith
Disciples growing in their understanding of Jesus
Woman fell at Jesus’ feet
Jesus calls her daughter