This is a very familiar story to church going folks. It depicts an act of kindness while attacking rudeness. First is the scripture, then the key characters and finally the philosophies of life represented.
Jesus replied and said, “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among robbers, and they stripped him and beat him, and went away leaving him half dead.
And by chance a priest was going down on that road, and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
Likewise a Levite also, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.
But a Samaritan, who was on a journey, came upon him; and when he saw him, he felt compassion, and came to him and bandaged up his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them; and he put him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn and took care of him.
On the next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper and said, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I return I will repay you.’
Which of these three do you think proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell into the robbers’ hands?” And he said, “The one who showed mercy toward him.” Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do the same.” (Luke 10:30-37 NASB)
Four principle characters…
1. Robbers. Vicious, vile, and violent. The man was robbed, stripped, wounded and left for dead.
2. Priest. Professional. Anti-risk taker. Concerned about becoming unclean. Would interrupt his duties as a preacher.
3. Levite. Lives by his own motto, “Safety First.” Man might be faking it. this guy wants to know what’s going on but doesn’t care to get involved.
4. Good Samaritan. Compassionate, selfless, giving, risk taker, and acts sacrificially.
Four philosophies of life.
1. Robbers. “what is yours is mine if I can take it.”
2. Priests & Levite. “What is mine is mine and I intend to keep it for myself.”
3. Innkeeper. “What is mine is yours if you have the money to buy it.”
4. Good Samaritan. “What is mine is yours if you need it.”
You need the following :
A blessed earthly life
A meaningful earthly life
An eternal heavenly life.
Jesus Christ will give it to you. Time to seek Him and receive These gifts.
Until next time,