Romans 8:38-39 For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
The taking of one’s life is not a contemporary phenomenon.
The Holy Bible records a number of cases where someone has taken their own life.
I. The Biblical Record
1. Saul of the Old Testament – 1 Chronicles 10:1-5
King and armor bearer both fell on their swords.
Why? Afraid of uncircumcised men. Did not want to die at their hands.
2. Ahithopel – 2 Samuel 17:23
Why? Afraid of being betrayed by David.
3. Samson – Judges 16: 29-30
Executor of God’s judgment – Judges 16:31
Why? Anger – avenge the loss of his eyes
4. Judas – Matthew 27:3-5
Son of perdition
Why? Grief, remorse for betraying Jesus
5. Others were tempted to take their own life.
The Philippian jailer – Acts 16
The Devil tempted Jesus to take His own life. Matthew 4: 1-11
II. The Reasons seen in Scripture
A major difference in these accounts from those of today is the story behind each case. We can read the scriptures to see what most of these people were thinking.
1. The weariness of life. Jb 3: 11-15, 20-23, 6:11; 7:15-16; 10:1-2
2. Sometimes death is desired.
Numbers 11:15 (Moses)
Numbers 14:2 (People of Israel)
Jeremiah 8:3 (Prophecy of people of Judah)
III. The Results According to Scripture
For the person who dies without Jesus Christ as Savior, his eternal destiny’s Hell.
For the person who dies trusting in Jesus Christ as Savior, his eternal destiny’s Heaven.
A. The Manner a person dies cannot rob him of eternal life.
1. Rewards in heaven are affected.
2. Intimacy & fellowship with God is strained.
Suicide is sin. However, sin is not more powerful than God. Who dies without sin?
We become consumed with the why and why us when suicide invades our lives. Suicide is a tragedy. We should learn from these tragedies.
1. God’s love is a love that seeks.
2. God’s love is a love that saves.
3. God’s love is a love that keeps.
4. God’s love is a love that unites.
Live for God and His glory
Human life is valuable and should always be regarded as such.
Life always has a purpose even if we do not know what it may be.
Don’t stop serving God. Always do something.