Oh the answers to why have a funeral are widespread. They range from not having one at all to exuberant displays of grander.
If one decides to indeed have a funeral, may I propose to carry out the following intentions.
1. Intentionally Worship God. Exalt Him. Allow the Holy Spirit freedom to minister.
2. Keep it Positive. By that I mean don’t brow beat the congregation. Love em with the grace God has shown us all. Judging and condemning people will not draw them to Jesus but drive them away.
3. Share the Gospel. Jesus’ death, burial, and resurrection.
4. Give an invitation. It doesn’t have to be a ‘come forward and pray’ but at the very least make people available to minister.
5. Comfort – Care – Counsel.
Just some quick thoughts before retiring for the evening. Work in the morning comes early.